Kim B. Childs
Telephone: (970) 874-1600
Mr. Childs is the senior attorney in Childs McCune and was the senior attorney in the predecessor firm from which Childs McCune’s Members came, Kennedy Childs, PC. He served as President of Kennedy Childs for seven years starting in 2006. He has almost 33 years of experience handling complex litigation for clients in various kinds of businesses and professions.
Kim has the unique attribute of having represented professionals in their licensing, business and malpractice needs for 32 of his 33 years in practice. He has tried dozens of medical malpractice cases in state and Federal courts as well as many legal malpractice cases, dental malpractice cases, architectural malpractice cases, insurance bad faith cases, product liability cases and professional licensing trials.
In order to provide more efficient services to the firm’s clients on the western side of Colorado, Kim single-handedly opened a Western Slope office in 2004. The office is in Delta, Colorado, mid-way between Grand Junction and Montrose. The geographical location of this office provides easy access to Grand Junction and the I-70 corridor, the Roaring Fork Valley including Glenwood Springs and Aspen, Gunnison, Montrose, Durango, Telluride, Cortez and the rest of western and southwestern Colorado. For ten years the Western Slope office has met the growing regional needs of many of the firm’s clients in western Colorado. Today, Childs McCune represents numerous clients from this office all over western Colorado, including professionals, construction companies, healthcare organizations, small and large employers and governmental entities from the Continental Divide to the western border of Colorado. Mr. Childs is also licensed in Wyoming and Nebraska and is admitted to practice in state and Federal courts in all three states, as well as in the United States Supreme Court.
Under his leadership, the Western Slope office provides the full range of legal services to businesses, municipalities, and healthcare organizations, focusing primarily on:
- Licensing issues and malpractice defense of professionals including physicians, lawyers, hospitals, nurses, other healthcare practitioners and other licensed workers;
- Business law, including entity formation, contracts, and vendor/supplier agreements for professional practices and other business entities;
- General commercial and other complex civil litigation for companies and individuals;
- Construction law, including land acquisition, construction defect claims, vendor/supplier disputes, and general business issues.
- Colorado Bar Association, 1981-present; Member, Ethics Committee 1985-1988; Interprofessional Committee, 1985-1989; Professional Liability Committee, 1989-1991.
- Wyoming Bar Association, 1990-present.
- Nebraska Bar Association, 1997-present.
- Colorado Defense Lawyers Association, 1983-present; At-Large Director of Colorado Defense Lawyers Association 2005-2007; Co-chair Medical Malpractice Committee, 2012-13.
- Denver Bar Association, 1982-present.
- Delta County Bar Association, 2007 – present.
- Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association, 1985-1988.
- National Transportation Safety Board Bar Association, 1987-1988.
- Defense Research Institute; Editor, Professional Liability Committee Newsletter, 1991-1992.
- Commissioner, Colorado Supreme Court Judicial Nominating Commission, 2012-present.
- Delta County Advisory Board Member, Hospice & Palliative Care of Western Colorado (now HopeWest Hospice), 2012-13.
- Volunteer, Delta County Free Legal Services program, 2011-present.
- President, St. Johns College Search and Rescue Team, 1976-1977.
Awards and Presentations
- AV Peer Review “Preeminent” Rating, Highest Possible Rating in both Legal Ability and Ethical Standards by LexisNexis / Martindale-Hubbell
- Colorado Super Lawyers, Medical Malpractice Defense, every year since its inception in 2006.
- “Top Attorneys in Colorado” 2013; 5280 Magazine
- “2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Health Care Law” American Lawyer Media and Martindale Hubbell
- Presiding Judge, ATLA Student trial Advocacy Competition, March 1995.
- Faculty, Emory University School of Law Trial Techniques Program, May 1993.
- Seminar faculty, “Attorney at Risk: Professional Liability” March 15, 1988, Denver, Colorado.
- Lecturer to oral surgery residents at Denver General Hospital, 1982 – 1995.
- Lecturer to St. Paul Insurance Company on bad faith claims, 1987.
- Lecturer to Hartford Insurance Company on bad faith claims, 1987.
- Lecturer to St. Paul Insurance Company on legal malpractice claims, 1988.
- Lecturer to Adams County Dental Association (malpractice issues), 1986.
- Lecturer to Rose Hospital neonatology interns, 1987.
- Lecturer to interns, residents and nurses in graduate otolaryngology program at University of Colorado Medical School, 1986.
- Faculty, Bad Faith Litigation in Colorado, Denver, Colorado, November 1995.
- The Apportionment of Tort Responsibility, 14 Colo. Law. 741 (May, 1985).