Telephone: (303) 296-7300
Jordan Lipp is a litigator who has enjoyed wide-ranging success, both in the courtroom and through motion practice. He wrote the book on product liability law in Colorado – Product Liability Law & Procedure in Colorado, First Edition (CBA-CLE Books 2015) – and he is an adjunct law professor at University of Denver’s Sturm College of Law, where he teaches outdoor recreation and ski law. He was previously a partner at Davis Graham & Stubbs, LLP. Mr. Lipp has received numerous recognitions for his work, including being previously named by the Colorado Civil Justice League, Colorado’s tort reform coalition, as the Colorado Lawyer of the Year. Mr. Lipp’s extensive experience and practice includes:
Mr. Lipp wrote the book on Colorado product liability law, and is one of the leading product liability defense attorneys in the Rocky Mountain region. He has successfully defended some of the largest recent jury trial product liability cases in Colorado. He has had broad experience defending product manufacturers in lawsuits in Colorado and throughout the nation. Mr. Lipp represents virtually all types of companies regulated by the FDA, including pharmaceutical, medical device, dietary supplement, and food companies. Mr. Lipp likewise represents various manufacturers, including car, truck, restraint system, machinery, farming, oil and gas and consumer products manufacturers. He has defended hundreds of individual personal injury actions as well as coordinating mass tort actions, and his experience ranges from such areas as traumatic brain injury litigation to asbestos claims. Whether at the summary judgment stage, through Daubert motions, or at trial, Mr. Lipp knows how to succeed in product liability cases. He also understands that his clients’ reputation and the integrity of their products are their most valuable asset, and works vigorously to defend that reputation and integrity.
Outdoor Recreation and Ski Industry:
A significant portion of Mr. Lipp’s practice is devoted to defending ski areas, amusement parks, and other companies in the outdoor recreation industry. He has had numerous important successes defending these cases – winning multiple lawsuits at the motions stage on issues ranging from waivers to the equine statute. He teaches the course on outdoor recreation and ski law at University of Denver’s Sturm College of Law. Mr. Lipp also provides a unique understanding of the issues facing his clients in the outdoor industry – he has been a ski patroller for over 25 years and an avalanche safety instructor for over 20 years, as well as being a guidebook author.
Additional Tort Defense Work:
Mr. Lipp has successfully defended numerous other tort/personal injury claims outside of the context of product liability and outdoor industry matters, including cases involving wrongful death, premises liability, construction accidents, aviation accidents, explosions, trespass, energy production accidents, and vehicle accidents.
General Commercial Litigation:
Whether as local counsel or lead counsel, Mr. Lipp has represented a wide variety of companies in general commercial litigation matters including contract, insurance, environmental, intellectual property, natural resources, employment, securities, and real estate matters.
Risk Management and Lawsuit Avoidance:
Avoiding claims and lawsuits – whether through warnings, releases, regulatory compliance, working with regulatory agencies, or other methods – is critical for companies. Based upon his experience defending companies in product liability litigation, Mr. Lipp has gained broad familiarity with the regulatory frameworks that govern manufacturers of various products. In addition to his book on Colorado product liability law, he also authored the seminal article on food, beverage, and dietary supplement law in Colorado. He counsels manufacturers, producers, and distributors on warnings to reduce the risk of litigation. And, He counsels clients on compliance with various regulations (including recalls), such as those promulgated by the FDA, USDA/FSIS, CPSC, OEHHA (Prop 65), and similar governmental entities.
Mr. Lipp also routinely counsels companies in the recreational industry based upon his years of experience defending ski resorts, amusement parks, horseback riding operations, and similar recreation focused companies on risk management and lawsuit avoidance. In this context, he has drafted countless releases and indemnification clauses to help reduce his clients’ exposure to personal injury claims.
Prior to joining Childs McCune, LLC, Jordan Lipp was a partner at Davis Graham & Stubbs, LLP in Denver. Mr. Lipp also served for two years as a Law Clerk for the Honorable Edward W. Nottingham, United States District Court for the District of Colorado, and practiced at Rothgerber Johnson & Lyons, LLP prior to his clerkship.
Mr. Lipp is active in multiple defense organizations and has worked to promote tort reform, including testifying before the state legislature. Mr. Lipp has served as a special prosecutor for the City and County of Denver. In 2008, he served as a prosecutor for the Denver City Attorney’s office’s MCTAP program.
Mr. Lipp lives in Golden with his wife Heather and young daughter and son. When not working or spending time with his family, he is an avid skier, snowboarder, and ski mountaineer. He is also a self-professed wine geek, wrote the book Is There Apple Juice in My Wine? Thirty-Eight Laws that Affect the Wine You Drink, and he regularly contributes to his wife’s wine blog: www.10kbottles.com.
Awards & Recognition
- Law Week Colorado: Top Litigators, 2017
- The Best Lawyers in America: Commercial Litigation and Insurance Law, 2016-2019
- 5280 Top Lawyers, Personal Injury: Defense, 2015
- Colorado Super Lawyer- Personal Injury Defense: Products (Super Lawyers Magazine, Thomson Reuters), 2018
- Colorado Rising Star- Personal Injury Defense: Products (Super Lawyers Magazine, Thomson Reuters), 2010-2017
- 50 for Colorado (Class of 2013)
- Colorado Civil Justice League’s Colorado Lawyer of the Year, 2009
- Colorado Civil Justice League Legal Advisory Board
- Law 360 (former) Product Liability Editorial Advisory Board
- Association of Ski Defense Attorneys
- Colorado Defense Lawyers Association
- Faculty of Federal Advocates
- Bryan Mountain Nordic Ski Patrol
- National Ski Patrol
- Jordan Lipp, Product Liability Law & Procedure in Colorado, First Edition (CBA-CLE Books 2015)
- Jordan & Heather Lipp, Is There Apple Juice in My Wine? Thirty-Eight Laws that Affect the Wine You Drink (KDP 2018)
- Jordan Lipp, Backcountry Skiing Berthoud Pass (Summit Guidebooks 2005)
- Jordan Lipp and Emily Wasserman, Where to Sue and Defend: An Update on Personal Jurisdiction Law, Vol. 47, No. 2, THE COLORADO LAWYER, February 2018.
- Jordan Lipp, Five Tips for Better Waivers, ADVENTURE PARK INSIDER, February 2016
- Jordan Lipp, Risk and Kids, ADVENTURE PARK INSIDER, August 2015
- Brenna Finn and Jordan Lipp, Colorado Businesses Face Increasing Threats of California Prop 65 Lawsuits, LAW WEEK COLORADO, May 2015.
- Jordan Lipp, Summer Ops and Tots: Risk management and litigation defense issues with children, SAM (SKI AREA MANAGEMENT) MAGAZINE, January 2015.
- Jordan Lipp and Ed Hafer, What’s in the Package: Food, Beverage, and Dietary Supplement Law and Litigation – Part 1, Vol. 43, No. 7, THE COLORADO LAWYER, July 2014, at 77; What’s in the Package: Food, Beverage, and Dietary Supplement Law and Litigation – Part 2, Vol. 43, No. 8, THE COLORADO LAWYER, August 2014, at 71.
- Jordan Lipp and Ed Hafer, Suit Opens Floodgates for Competitors [POM Wonderful decision], LAW WEEK COLORADO, July 2014.
- Marc Bonora and Jordan Lipp, The In-house Checklist of Steps for New Litigation, Vol. 32, No. 4, ACC DOCKET, May 2014, at 26.
- Jordan Lipp, Preventing or Limiting Repeated Depositions of Company Employees, Vol. 8, No. 2, IN-HOUSE DEFENSE QUARTERLY, June 2013, at 18.
- Jordan Lipp, Horse Law – A Look at the Equine Statute and Liability Law, Vol. 41, No. 7, THE COLORADO LAWYER, July 2012, at 95.
- Jeffrey Pilkington and Jordan Lipp, Plaintiff’s Medical Care and Treatment — Discovery and Evidentiary Issues, ABA 50-STATE SURVEY OF THE LAW (Colorado and Wyoming chapters), January 2011.
- J.D., University of Michigan Law, 2002, cum laude
- B.A., University of Colorado Boulder, 2000, summa cum laude